Follow Lexus Motorsports
These race cars share your Lexus’ DNA—and they’re coming to a track near you
Following Lexus Motorsports isn’t just superb entertainment—as a Lexus driver, you’ve got a personal stake in the game.
Why? Never forget that all Lexus models, including the one you currently drive, are high-tech performance machines, with many of them directly influenced by Lexus’ extensive research on tracks and circuits. This includes performance feedback from an intense, not to mention thrilling, driving environment—professional racing.
In fact, Lexus Motorsports partnerships have helped fine-tune many of the acceleration, suspension, handling, and braking characteristics of Lexus production models, especially the LC 500, RC F, and F SPORT editions, and they’ll likely have an effect on the precision engineering of your future Lexus vehicles as well.
The team to follow right now is AIM VASSER SULLIVAN—partnered with Lexus—which is competing across the country in the 2020 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship. This multi-race series pits two Lexus RC F GT3 race cars against America’s top professional teams. Tracking the AIM VASSER SULLIVAN season is easy: just follow @LexusRacingUSA on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Here’s a list of compelling reasons to pay attention:
1. First of all, have you seen the vehicles? Like your own Lexus, each RC F GT3 model is a head-turner. Just look at those colors and graphics in the photo above. These are GT3 spec cars that compete in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship GTD Daytona (GTD) class, and their flashy presence makes them fun to watch at extreme speeds.
2. Speaking of extreme speeds, ever secretly wonder what a Lexus is capable of? Obviously, there are legal limits to how fast you can drive your own Lexus in the real world (for good reason, of course). But a fun thing about Lexus Motorsports is that it provides a window into the outer limits of Lexus performance development—a world where AIM VASSER SULLIVAN’s talented pro drivers regularly push their specially designed Lexus vehicles to their performance limit on some of the best road courses across North America.
3. Every race is unique. The IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship events are anything but cookie-cutter—the race schedule (which goes to October) includes a mix of extreme endurance tests, urban-street sprints, and infamous tracks with wicked corkscrew turns.
If you missed the January opening event, the iconic all-day/all-night Rolex 24 at Daytona, not to worry. The next event, in March, is another exciting endurance race: the famous Twelve Hours of Sebring, held on a former World War II air base in Florida. Following in April will be California’s Grand Prix of Long Beach, a thrilling street-course sprint. In May, AIM VASSER SULLIVAN returns to two tracks where the No. 14 RC F GT3 was victorious last year: the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course and Detroit’s Raceway at Belle Isle Park.
4. Lexus owners receive special treatment at most events. As mentioned, it’s easy to follow the team via @LexusRacingUSA on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram (and at Lexus.com/Motorsports). But if you can make it to an event, expect VIP status at many races. “At most events, Lexus drivers receive a special track experience,” says Jeff Bal of Lexus Motorsports. “Just check the schedule, then contact your local dealership or reach out to Lexus Racing on social media (@LexusRacingUSA) to let them know you’re interested in attending. They can let you know if they have hospitality access at a track near you.”
5. Like you, the Lexus team is enjoying success. Last year, the AIM VASSER SULLIVAN team achieved great things—two race wins, five podium finishes, nine top-five placements, and multiple top-ten performances. In other words, they’re beating teams equipped with other auto brands that have been around for more than a half century. That’s shaping up for some thrilling, hungry racing this year as the Lexus team defends victories and contends for even more top-spot finishes.
6. Lexus Motorsports fandom is growing. If you can attend an event near you, you’ll likely notice the presence of race fans wearing Lexus-supporting apparel, a phenomenon that’s been gaining prominence (which isn’t surprising given the team’s splashy presence and ongoing success). So if you’re finding yourself an ardent follower—or if you’re already a fan—know you can obtain your own team-supporting apparel and headwear at The Lexus Collection.
By Brian Gill